Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dainty Cadaver Mad Libs-Style Blog Thing: Danny Bowes

I’ve known Danny Bowes longer than any other playwright on the Dainty Cadaver roster, no joke. I directed him in his first play at Bard College (Ostrovsky’s Too Clever By Half, aka Diary of a Scoundrel, if you must know) when we were both students there, and we’ve been friends and colleagues ever since. Little did I know back then that he’d go on to be a talented writer and integral member of The Brick family – though the fact that we’d be drinking buddies seemed pretty likely. Check out his hyperkinetic film criticism on his blog, Movies by Bowes, and check out his pop-culture/sci-fi writings on Tor.com. Do it!
-----------------------

If I could rewrite the ending to any book or movie it would be Wuthering Heights because ninjas.

When I first read the Dainty Cadaver scene that came before mine, my initial reaction was OH MY GOD I'M IN OVER MY HEAD! NOOOOO!!!!.” Then, I thought “But wait . . . if I just . . . yeah, that should work.” Finally, I took a step off the cliff and enjoyed all the pretty scenery.

The song I listened to most/had in my head while writing my scene was “Monster” by Kanye West (which made it very hard to resist the impulse to make my scene about fire-breathing Muppets destroying Tokyo, but resist I did).

As Abraham Lincoln said, “The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget how we just OWNED these chumps in this battle. Shit was TIGHT.

Before I had Piper McKenzie in my life, I was a hollow shell of a human being. Now I'm a hollow shell of a human being with more whiskey inside.

Out, out, brief candle! / Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, / That was the title of the first play I wrote at the Brick / Walking Shadow, that is, not A Poor Player / It was in the Baby Jesus Festival in 2005. It is a tale / Told by an idiot, full of dialogue / Signifying something or other.

If I were to finish this sentence it would be about a page long with thirty commas and several parenthetical asides.

Writing for the Dainty Cadaver in this manner worked in concord with my usual process by facilitating a necessary surrender of ego and a consequent devotion to the work itself rather than the individual glory to be derived therefrom.

If I didn’t write plays or do things like Dainty Cadavers I’d probably be claiming I did to get chicks.

The jumble of random nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs I would use to describe my Dainty Cadaver experience includes the following: snow, mall, investigate, brigandage. perspicacious, deceptive, shockingly.

When walking down the Boulevard de Rochechouart, James Mason picked up a lady of the evening along the way. It transpired that James Mason had forgotten to change any pounds into francs, and he had to say fuck it.

In the beginning God created cards, because he doesn't play dice with the universe.

Have you ever noticed that Daleks are always likeCybermen are superior [to Daleks] in only one respect . . . YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING,” while Cybermen are always like “Cybermen plus Daleks. Together we can upgrade the universe?” What’s the deal?

Snabfllp nibminimmbinmtt falalaboocheray toddlesmick, but if we're really being honest with ourselves, abbib simblantfermay pobbadooblemirph.

No comments:

Post a Comment