Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dainty Cadaver Playwright Profiles: TEMAR UNDERWOOD (Team B)

This week, we're running a series of profiles of the playwrights for Piper McKenzie's Dainty Cadaver 2012, in which they fill in the blanks in a number of outlandish and unhelpful statements we have provided.


Temar Underwood is the founder and artistic director of I MEAN! Productions. As a playwright, his play Leak had its world premiere in 2009 at The Wings Theatre and his play The Lady Drug Dealer and the Heist had its world premiere at the New York International Fringe Festival this past August. Both plays were selected and published to indietheaternow.com, a digital library of American indie plays. His episodic play, The Ghost of Henderson Manor, was the curtain jerker (look it up!) as part of the 2010-2011 Vampire Cowboys’ Saturday Night Saloon Series. Look for his newest play, Breaking Kayfabe, to debut soon. Temar was honored to be a NYTheatre.com 2011 Person of the Year. www.temarunderwood.com

1. The playwright whose work I’d most like to continue in my own words is AUGUST WILSON because I FEEL LIKE BEING STEREOTYPICAL.

2. I think that theater in this country needs more MUSIC and less JUKEBOX MUSICALS.
.

3. If I could steal one character from another play and put them in my own play, it would be IAGO because HE’S THE BEST VILLAIN EVER, AND WHO DOESN’T LOVE A GOOD VILLAIN?

4. Some would describe me as the bastard love child of TINA TURNER and LEON (THE BLACK GUY IN THE MADONNA “LIKE A PRAYER” VIDEO).

5. At times I SCREAM at ALIENS between TENNIS SETS enforcing RICKETY bathysphere POEMS OF collateral FUNCTION for MY GRANDMA and also MY COUSIN in case of ENCOUNTERING dandelions THAT ARE NOT for profit.

6. I LOVE Dainty Cadaver FOR BEING SEXY AND MUSTY AT THE SAME TIME.

7. The one thing I think it’s important for audiences to know about me is THAT I RULE ALL THE FOLLOWS.

No comments:

Post a Comment